Light on PLASTICS!
How to choose the best laser to permanently mark plastics?
Plastics have become irreplaceable in most industries, with an increasing need for identification and traceability. Natural, coloured, transparent, doped or undoped with multiple additives, plastic reacts differently depending on the laser used.
Presented below are some application examples and best suited laser technologies
Whatever your application:
From technical plastic production to finished products, identification operations need to be carried out for:
- Internal traceability: automated production data marking optimizes industrial process and helps meet standards requirements.
- Product identification: permanent marks give product information and use instructions and last for the complete life cycle.
- Unique identifiers implementation: camera-readable 2D codes enable to track & trace every single item.
- Aesthetic engraving and personalization: nice marks add value to final products but are also necessary on signs for public orientation and safety warnings.
- Precise cutting: laser technology allows fine and clea cutting of many shapes in acrylic, rubber, thick plexiglass...
What technology should be chosen?
- Integrable CO2 laser: generating readable marks at high rates with low contrast, it is the affordable solution for internal traceability in the automotive, aerospace and plastics industries
- GREEN laser: offering higher contrast and surface marking, the green technology enables marking of a large variety of plastics without heat stress. Ideal for small, sensitive components in the medical, electronics and semi-conductor industries
- YAG YVO4 laser: with high quality results at high speed, this technology excels on ABS and additive doped plastics in the electrical and electronics industries
- CO2 gantry laser: able to cut and engrave large dimension parts or a series of smaller parts placed on a support table, these cost-effective lasers provide versatility and a great quality finish for signage, front panels, part decoration and personalization
- FIBRE laser: not always associated with plastic marking, Fibre lasers produce very good results on some technical plastics and also allow fine coating removal. And of course excels at metal marking
Which configuration will meet your needs?
Because every company is unique and works in a different way, these technologies are offered in several configurations:
In-line integrable equipment
- Robust and easy-to-integrate marking lasers, with full expert support direct from the manufacturer
- Able to communicate with your environment, it identifies any part with serial numbers, logos, text, DatamatrixTM codes, barcodes, QR codes, date and hour information
Stand alone solutions
- Class I enclosure for complete safety operation, ergonomic and highly productive tabletop lasers
- Semi-automated workstations can be customized to satisfy the most demanding applications
- Driven by intuitive dedicated software, the operator can access in a few clicks all traceability and creativity functions
- Especially developed for laser engraving and cutting in a spectrum of colours, thicknesses and finishes. A complete range covering all needs
Interested in plastic marking?